04 March 2008

Change is Always Changing

The country is at war, the economy is going down the tubes, will there be a tomorrow?

No, not questions just for 2008, but questions that were out there in 1968.

In the spirit of sharing with my children and grandchildren and all of my descendants to follow, as they burn music or whatever or however they'll be doing it when they read this, let me share what music looked like to a 10-year old in 1968:

The image “http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/466897.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

This is a 45 rpm record. This particular one was recorded by a R&B group called Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions, and the song is called "We're a Winner", a rallying cry of the civil rights, peace, women's and black power movement. As you fall asleep watching some 'new' technology with some news or political program talking about Ms. President (who may be black, or latina, or korean by the time you read this), as I watch old-fashioned cable TV network MSNBC blah blah blah about Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama (who will just be another Prez in your history site), before history is made in 2008, just remember that the path to freedom and your future started in 1968.

By the way, that disc above is made of vinyl, they used sonic groove cutters to make the impressions of the music for playback, we used a device known as a record player (actually by 1968 we were just starting to call it a turntable), and it was connected to a stereo receiver and speakers that were powered by transistors (the forerunner to the microchip). My dad had both a stereo that had transistors and an older one from the 1960s which had cathode ray tubes. The tube stereo had better sound in my opinion.

When I let my dad listen to my Ipod in 2007, it reminded me how far we had come since I listened to his 1960s stereo in 1968. God only knows what you're listening to now. But whatever it is, check out a little of your history and find and listen to this song.

No comments:

check the time where you're at on the Big Board...